As life begins to return back to normal after the COVID-19 pandemic, our hospital is beginning to perform the surgeries which had to be delayed under the circumstances.
Vital healthcare procedures, including those unrelated to COVID-19, should not be ignored at this time. It is both safe and necessary to receive medical attention at our sites of care, so we are being thoughtful and deliberate in reintroducing key ‘elective’ procedures.
In order to keep up with the progress we have made thus far, we are prioritizing surgeries in order of their severity. Our staff has had a great deal of practice in regards to following safety protocols and are prepared to get back to their new normal as we begin rescheduling surgeries.Tiffany Murdock, Executive Director of Surgical Services
Safety precautions implemented across Singing River Health System include:
- Screening for all patients, visitors and staff before entering facilities.
- COVID-19 testing of all guests undergoing procedures 48 hours prior, along with all guests who are admitted into our hospitals through the Emergency Room, and our Labor and Delivery guests.
- Separate areas and staff for non-COVID-19 positive patients, as well as outpatient and patients with scheduled procedures. These patients are treated in separate areas and assigned caregivers who are not caring for COVID-19 positive patients during their shift.
- All caregivers wear masks throughout all hospitals, per CDC guidelines.
- Heightened infection prevention policies, including the removal of high-touch items such as magazines and toys. Food and drinks are prohibited in clinical units to prevent the spread of illness.
Patients are being contacted directly to discuss the next steps to take in order to reschedule any delayed surgeries.
We know these circumstances are not what our patients anticipated when planning for needed procedures, and we recognize the worry that this pandemic has created for patients and their loved ones.
We are listening to our patients, and we understand their concerns. That is why we taking these actions and remain committed to protecting the health and safety of the communities we so proudly serve.Lee Bond, Chief Executive Officer
For additional information about how Singing River is continuing to battle COVID-19 while keeping patients and staff safe visit this page.