Singing River Health System Upgrades Robotic System at Singing River Hospital
Introducing the da Vinci® XI™ Surgical System
Singing River Health System is pleased to announce the recent acquisition of the da Vinci Xi Surgical System. The da Vinci Xi System was designed with the goal of further advancing the technology used in minimally invasive surgery. The System can be used across a spectrum of minimally invasive surgical procedures and has been optimized for multi-quadrant surgeries in the areas of gynecology, urology, thoracic, cardiac and general surgery.
Dr. David Spencer, Jr., urology surgeon, was the first doctor at Singing River Hospital to perform a procedure using the new robotic system.
“The DaVinci Xi offers improved visualization and flexibility, which allows for treatment of both benign and malignant urological conditions in a minimally invasive fashion,” Dr. Spencer said. “Patients are able to return to their usual activities sooner and with less postoperative pain. I am excited to be able to offer the most cutting edge technology in robotic surgery to the people of South Mississippi.”
By enabling efficient access throughout the abdomen or chest, the da Vinci Xi System expands upon core da Vinci System features, including wristed instruments, 3D-HD visualization, intuitive motion, and an ergonomic design. As with all da Vinci Surgical Systems, the surgeon is 100% in control of the robotic-assisted da Vinci System, which translates his/her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside the patient’s body. The Xi System’s immersive 3D-HD vision mechanism provides surgeons a highly magnified view, virtually extending their eyes and hands into the patient.
Key features include:
- A new overhead instrument arm architecture designed to facilitate anatomical access from virtually any position
- A new endoscopic digital architecture that creates a simpler, more compact design with improved vision definition and clarity
- An ability to attach the endoscope to any arm, providing flexibility for visualizing the surgical site
- Smaller, thinner arms with newly designed joints that offer a greater range of motion than ever before
- Longer instrument shafts designed to give surgeons greater operative reach
“Our surgeons have been using the da Vinci Surgical System to perform a variety of procedures at Singing River Hospital since 2008, with outstanding results,” said Kevin Holland, Chief Executive Officer, Singing River Health System. “This newly acquired Xi system only adds to and enhances our capabilities in this important surgical area.”