Singing River Health System Awarded Safe Sleep Approved Seal
The Mississippi SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) & Infant Safety Alliance is pleased to recognize Singing River Health System Hospitals with the Safe Sleep Approved Hospital Seal.
Singing River Health System has worked diligently to complete the guidelines required to receive this award. This program will be a consistent and repetitive message in the community to provide infant sleep safety information to families before they leave the hospital with their precious babies.
The Safe Sleep Approved Hospital program requires:
- That the families view and educational DVD on Safe Sleep for Babies. This video will explain how to provide a safe sleep environment for babies which will in turn help reduce the risk of SIDS/SUID, Suffocation and Entrapment. This will make a huge impact on our infant mortality in Mississippi. This step will be able to capture 100% of the birthing population at Singing River Hospital with this important education.
- That families of infants are aware of the following:
- Babies should be placed on their backs to sleep.
- The baby’s crib should have nothing in it but the baby, a fitted sheet and firm mattress.
- Babies need to sleep alone in a crib, not with an adult.
- Nurses receive reinforcement on Safe Sleep information with direct nursing education.
- Families sign voluntary commitment statement acknowledging importance and receipt of Safe Sleep information.
Mississippi has a very high infant mortality rate, and it is felt that this step in education at Singing River Hospital will make a difference in the lives of our local babies. The Mississippi SIDS & Infant Safety Alliance is very proud of Singing River Health System and this accomplishment, and is proud to recognize Ocean Springs Hospital and Singing River Hospital and staff on a job well done and on their determination to make a difference in their community as well as our state.