How often should I clean my face mask or cover?
You should clean your mask after every wearing. This reduces the risk of spreading the coronavirus (COVID-19) or other germs.
How do I clean my face mask?
- Disposable, blue surgical masks cannot be laundered or cleaned and should be thrown away when it is visibly soiled or damaged.
- Bandannas, face scarves, and masks made of fabric, such as cotton, can be washed in your regular laundry using hot water.
- After laundering your fabric masks, tumble dry them in the dryer on a high setting.
- You might consider using a non-scented laundry detergent if you are sensitive to perfumes so it is easier to wear the masks.
- You can also hand wash your mask, using hot, soapy water. Scrub the mask for at least 20 seconds, and dry them on high heat in the dryer.
- Store clean masks in a clean place when you are not using them.