Game Changers in Prostate Cancer Detection
Singing River and South Mississippi Urology Invest in UroNav Technology to Detect Prostate Cancer Early
GULF COAST, Mississippi (January 21, 2020) – Singing River Health System and South Mississippi Urology are the first in the state to use innovative technology, UroNav – combining the benefits of an MRI with ultrasound to create a detailed, 3-D view of the prostate. By allowing physicians to see the prostate in this way, they can identify suspicious areas, and then target them for biopsy. UroNav brings the power of MRI to the Urology suite as prostate and lesion segmentation data from Radiology are quickly and easily transferred to UroNav for review and target identification.
Benefits of UroNav
- Provides a 3-D view of the prostate, clarity that is otherwise unavailable – reducing the risk of overlooking a tumor
- Improves diagnosis accuracy, which leads to better treatment options and outcomes
- Incorporates a GPS-like system to guide the biopsy needle to suspicious areas
- Reduces the number of tissue samples taken from the prostate
- Reduces discomfort and gives peace of mind for patient
- Targeted biopsies help to eliminate the need for multiple, random (or blind) biopsies
- Targeted biopsies may help to detect aggressive tumors that could have been missed with a blind biopsy
For more information please call South Mississippi Urology at 228-875-3778
About Singing River Health System
Singing River Health System is the community based, not-for-profit healthcare provider for Jackson County and surrounding areas on the Gulf Coast. As one of the county’s largest employers, the system offers award winning, comprehensive care for every age and stage. Singing River Health System is committed to the highest quality standards and is an accredited Blue Cross Blue Shield Center of Excellence.
We provide both critical and acute health services, charitable assistance, and lead numerous educational and community outreach programs. We strengthen the local economy by recruiting more than 300 of the very best physicians and other professionals to our community, while providing adequate jobs, wages and benefits to approximately 2,400 employees and their families.
Through this dedication, we help improve the health of the community while making it a better place to live and work. We are honored to be the caregiver of choice. For more information please visit www.singingriverhealthsystem.com.
Stay up to date on the latest Singing River excitement by following us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and Vimeo.