Many of us have or will have friends or family diagnosed with cancer. Here’s a list of things you can do to brighten up their day.
1. Heading to the grocery store? Text them and see if there is anything they need.
2. Cook dinner for them and drop it off at the house. Better yet, cook several meals which can be stored in Tupperware and re-heated, so that for at least a few days no one has to ask, “What’s for dinner?”
3. If they have kids, offer to babysit or take them to and from school or other activities.
4. Offer to give them a ride to their appointments. Maybe even make it a regular thing.
5. Do they love to garden or have a nice lawn? Come over and mow the lawn or water their plants.
6. If they have pets, offer to come feed them, and if that pet is a dog, offer to take the dog for a walk regularly, so they can relax and recuperate from treatment.
7. While you are helping out the patient, don’t forget about their spouse or primary caregiver. Make sure they are getting rest and the things they need as well.
8. Let them know you’re “On Call” for emergencies. Mean it.
9. If you are heading to the pharmacy, text them and see if there is anything you can pick up for them
10. Tell them you love and care about them.